National Night Out
America's Night Out Against Crime
National Night Out is designed to:
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness.
- Bring neighbors together and strengthen neighborhood spirit.
- Make neighborhoods safer.
- Promote positive partnerships between police and fire personnel and the community.
- Generate support for local anti-crime programs.
On the first Tuesday of every August, the City of Westminster joins forces with thousands of communities nationwide to celebrate National Night Out. Citizens, police and fire personnel, businesses, and community leaders come together to communicate with each other and unite against crime.
Neighbors gather for ice cream socials, backyard barbecues and potluck dinners in a variety of locations. Westminster City Council, police officers and firefighters visit these gatherings to socialize and answer questions. Party packs are provided that contain door prizes to hand out to participants.
A total of 29 neighborhoods and over 2,000 citizens participated in the 26th annual National Night Out on Aug. 4, 2009. If you are interested in hosting a National Night Out party on Aug. 3, 2010, or in attending an event, please contact Investigator Cheri Spottke at 303-658-4421.