The Westminster Fire Department believes public education is critical to reducing fires and injuries in the community. The department offers a wide range of education programs by request, several on-going programs, and safety tips.
Home Safety Checks for Older Adults are provided quarterly. These thorough home visits include checks of fire alarms, carbon monoxide alarms and a risk assessment. Items such as night lights, power strips, non-slip pads and more are provided if needed. Call 303-658-4536 to schedule.
Westminster Fire Department Citizen Academy is held annually beginning in March. The free course meets on Thursday evenings for 13 weeks and gives citizens a hands-on opportunity to learn about department services and operations. Class size is limited to 20, applications are available on-line in December.
Car Seat Inspections are provided the first and third Saturday of the month by appointment only. Please call 303-658-4500 to schedule.
First Aid and CPR courses include training on Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs). The instructors are Westminster firefighters who are certified to teach the American Heart Association curriculum. The fee for both First Aid and CPR is $55. The fee for a CPR only class is $45. To register, please call Fire Administration at 303-658-4546. For more information view our fact sheet
Jan. 9 -- CPR/First Aid
- Feb. 20 -- CPR
- March 19 -- CPR/First Aid
- April 16 -- CPR
- May 7 -- CPR/First Aid
- June 11 -- CPR
- July 16 -- CPR/First Aid
- Aug. 27 -- CPR
- Sept. 10 -- CPR/Firs Aid
- Oct. 22 -- CPR
- Nov. 12 -- CPR/First Aid
- Dec. 17 -- CPR
Programs by Request
The Public Education Officer coordinates public education requests. Fire safety, injury prevention, bike helmets, seatbelts, and many other topics are available for school groups, scout groups, older adults, employees and others interested in learning about safety programs. The Educator Brochure details the programs and props available.
General Guidelines -
- A minimum of 12 students is required for the Fire Department to come to your location
- Children should be 4 or older to get the most out of the programs
- The Fire Department does not go out of service for public education and may be called away for an emergency call at any time
- The Fire Department does not host or attend birthday parties
- No public education programming will be scheduled after 8 p.m.
- The Fire Department will not provide public education or a public display for community business entities as part of a business promotion
- A minimum of two week's notice is required to schedule a public education demonstration by the Fire Department
- Public education sessions are about 45-60 minutes
We also offer Youth Firesetter Intervention services. If your child is showing fire setting tendencies, we can offer an assessment and educational programs by trained fire personnel that may help.
Call Westminster Fire Administration offices at 9110 Yates St., 303-658-4500 to schedule a program.
Fire & Life Safety