A firefighter serves the community in a public safety position of trust. Firefighters must be trustworthy, honest and willing to demonstrate loyalty and reliability. Firefighting is a profession that takes preparation through education and training. Positions with fire departments are scarce and the competition is fierce.
Position Minimum Requirements:
- Graduation from high school or GED
- At least 18 years of age
- Possession of a valid drivers license and maintain a safe driving record
- 30 college credit hours or military experience with honorable discharge
- EMT-B certification (State of Colorado or National Registry)
Pre-Employment Minimum Requirements:
- Background checks will include employment references, criminal history records check, drivers license record check, education verification check, and psychological examination.
- Pre-employment drug screen
- Pre-employment physical examination
- Must be legally entitled to work in the United States
The Westminster Fire Department participates in the Colorado FIREfighting Testing Consortium pool. All applicants are drawn from the pool with a score of 80% or better. The City will start the hiring process in March of each year, with recruits participating in an August regional fire academy. The current deadline for applications is Friday, September 15, 2017 (MST).