To offset your carbon emissions at home or work, you may choose to donate the entire cost of a tree in your family or business's name or make a smaller donations to be combined with others until the total of $250 is met. Learn more about your carbon emissions and how to offset through our Carbon Calculator
A Living Legacy Tree Program
The Living Legacy Tree Program is offered by the City of Westminster Department of Parks, Recreation and Libraries to encourage donation of a tree by any Westminster resident, group or business that wishes to remember, honor or dedicate an individual or event. Trees may be donated by individuals in memory of a loved one, to commemorate an anniversary, to observe a wedding or to remember a special birthday. Businesses may wish to dedicate trees in honor of a special employee, acknowledgment of a grand opening or upon reaching certain milestones. Service organizations may wish to donate simply for the beautification and cleansing effect a tree has on the city's environment.
To offset your carbon emissions at home or work, you may choose to donate the entire cost of a tree in your family or business's name or make a smaller donation to be combined with others until the total of $250 is met. Learn more about your carbon emissions through our Carbon Calculator.
Trees & Fees - The donor, with advice from the city forester, can choose from a number of tree species, including conifers (blue spruce, fir, pine, etc.) or deciduous trees (ash, maple, oak, etc.). Wholesale cost of a single tree varies, but is usually around $250. All other expenses, including planting, maintenance and a one-year warranty, will be covered by the City of Westminster. Donors are welcome to attend the tree planting.
Planting Sites - Several parks within the City of Westminster have been specifically targeted to receive tree donations. These parks have sufficient space available and are spread throughout the city, offering donors close proximity and easy access if they wish to periodically visit their tree. Specific tree location requests will also be given individual consideration.
Additional Information - Permanent records of tree donations will be kept on file at the city. If you have questions, would like to donate a memorial tree or offset your carbon emissions, please call 303-658-2559. View the printable flyer
ReLeaf Westy Tree SALE Program
Trees are available for purchase through the City of Westminster Parks, Recreation and Libraries Department for a low price of $55 plus tax. The city buys trees from the Colorado Tree Coalition and sells them to the community at cost. The purpose of this program is to encourage tree planting and tree diversity with trees that are affordable and small enough for a homeowner to handle.
• Trees are 6-12 feet tall and 30-50 pounds.
• Orders are accepted through Wednesday, April 19, and trees must be picked up on Saturday, April 22, at the Earth Day Celebration at Westminster Center Park, 4801 W. 92nd Ave.
• Limit three trees per household.
• Trees must be purchased by Westminster residents and planted within Westminster city limits.
• Limited supply, call for availability.
• Payment is non-refundable and no warranty is available.
• Trees can only be reserved when payment is received.
• Trees planted in the front yard may be eligible for a $25 rebate through the ReLeaf Westy Rebate Program (see below).
Call 303-658-2192 for more information and to place an order.
2017 Trees Offered:
• Large shade trees – Hackberry, Bur Oak, Shumard Red Oak, Swamp White Oak, Catalpa, Glenleven Linden, Lacebark Elm, State Street Maple
• Small ornamental trees – Chanticleer Pear, Eastern Redbud, Hot Wings Maple
ReLeaf Westy Tree REBATE Program
The City of Westminster Department of Parks, Recreation and Libraries is offering cash rebates for participants in its ReLeaf Westminster Tree Rebate Program. This program is designed to encourage citizens to plant trees to improve their own property, as well as to enhance the look and image of the City of Westminster as a growing community.
• Trees must be planted within Westminster city limits.
• Tree must have a minimum purchase price of $80.
• Tree must be one of those listed in the program or approved by the city forester.
• Tree must be planted in the front yard of the property.
• Completed application forms along with a copy of your receipt showing your tree purchase must be submitted to Westminster Parks, Recreation and Libraries by Oct. 31.
• Rebates are subject to verification of fulfilling requirements.
• Funding is limited, and rebates are on a first come/first served basis.
• Trees purchased through the ReLeaf Westy Tree Sale and planted in the front yard are eligible for a $25 rebate.
Application - Download an application
More information - Contact City Forester, John Kasza, at 303-658-2559.
Eligible Shade Trees - Hackberry, Linden varieties, Thornless Honeylocust varieties, Norway Maple varieties, Autumn Blaze Maple, Sugar Maple, Western Catalpa, Bur Oak, Northern Red Oak, Swamp White Oak, English Oak, London Plane tree, Kentucky Coffee Tree, Japanese Pagoda tree.
Eligible Ornamental Trees - Thinleaf alder, Canada red cherry, Crabapple varieties, Golden Raintree, Hawthorn varieties, European hornbeam, Amur and Tatarian maple, Newport plum, Serviceberry, Japanese Tree Lilac, Pear and Eastern Redbud.
Eligible Evergreen Trees - Eastern Red Cedar, Rocky Mountain Juniper, Austrian Pine, Bristlecone Pine, Limber Pine, Pinyon Pine, Ponderosa Pine, Southwestern Whitle Pine, Black Hills Spruce and Colorado Spruce.
Property owners often find that they have trees on their property that have outgrown their planting site or are simply in the way of new development. Frequently these trees are in excellent shape, and still have the potential for decades of new growth. The City of Westminster Forestry Section will consider these trees for donation to City Parks and other public properties if the property owner would rather not have the trees destroyed. Here are a few items that must be considered when a tree is evaluated for donation:
- tree must be in good-to-excellent health to be successfully transplanted by hand or with a tree spade;
- trunk of the tree (measured 12 inches above ground level) cannot exceed 12 inches in diameter;
- tree must be accessible by appropriate machinery; and
- underground utilities can prevent tree donations when they are found to be within the dig area.
If you would like to have your potential tree donation evaluated by the city forester, please call 303-658-2559.