Historical marker placed at Church’s Stage Stop
(Nov 21, 2012)
A bronze plaque was recently installed at the Church’s Stage Stop historic site, located on the west side of Wadsworth Boulevard, north of 103rd Avenue on City of Westminster open space.
The site was a stagecoach stop operated by the George and Sara Church family, beginning in 1864. The stop was halfway between Denver and Boulder along the Cherokee Trail (later called the Overland Stage route).
The plaque is mounted on a large boulder near the brick well, which is the only remaining remnant of the stage stop.
President Ulysses S. Grant and his daughter stayed overnight at the stage stop in 1868.
In 2002, City Council budgeted funds to fabricate 24 plaques to commemorate Westminster history.
To date, 19 of 24 plaques have been installed. The locations of the plaques and the inscriptions can be found on the city website.