4800 West 92nd Avenue Westminster, CO 80031


Common questions answered as part of telephone town hall

(Jun 07, 2012)

There were more than 20 questions asked and responded to during the recent Telephone Town Hall held by Westminster City Council. In addition, there were more than 50 questions that were not asked during the one-hour town hall session but were left as messages by callers.

Many of the questions were specific requests for service and were forwarded to the appropriate staff person for individual follow up.

Those questions of general interest, and their answers, are presented here to provide the greatest possible exposure.

There were also numerous questions on the latest news from the redevelopment at the former Westminster Mall site. These have been posted on the Westminster Center website, which has the latest news on the project.

NOTE: To protect caller privacy, the names and contact information of the callers has been deleted.


There were a number of questions dealing with traffic concerns. If you have concerns about speeding in your neighborhood, the city provides a traffic safety program - DriveWise - that pairs concentrated enforcement with neighborhood awareness. More information is on the Neighborhood Traffic page on the city website. For other traffic concerns, please contact the city Traffic Engineering Division: traffic signals and lighting, 303-658-2145, and questions pertaining to signing (i.e., speed limits) 303-658-2144.


There were several questions dealing with graffiti concerns. Westminster maintains an aggressive graffiti reporting and removal program. To report graffiti, call 303-706-3333. Please visit the Graffiti removal page on the city website for more information.

Concerned about the bridge on Sheridan next to the mall. It is an eyesore. Will you fix it?

The Sheridan bridge over U.S. 36 will be replaced as part of the Colorado Department of Transportation’s U.S. 36 Managed Lanes project. For more information, please visit the project page on the CDOT website at www.coloradodot.info/projects/US36ManagedLanes.

How are things looking with our water supply this summer? If there are strict watering restrictions, how will they be communicated?

Water suppliers in the North Metro area depend on mountain snowpack for a majority of their water. Residents have worked hard to use this valuable resource efficiently. Thank you! Below average snowfall this year means less water for 2012 and possibly 2013. Plus, a warmer spring has jump-started the lawn watering season, prompting higher water use. Although no watering restrictions are anticipated at this time, this year it’s especially important to save on water and suppliers are joining together to ask for your help. Get tips on how you can reduce water use, save some money and protect future water supplies.

Are there any plans to give property tax relief to senior citizens soon?

Property tax exemptions are provided to eligible senior citizens through your county of residence.  For Jefferson County, visit: http://jeffco.us/assessor/assessor_T80_R15.htm#howdo. For Adams County visit: http://co-adamscounty.civicplus.com/index.aspx?nid=133. Colorado Department of Human Services also offers assistance to senior citizens needing help paying heating bills. Visit their website for more information: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDHS-SelfSuff/CBON/1251580884665.

We’ve had issues with coyotes in North Westminster and I’m concerned for my children’s safety. Is there anything that can be done about it?

Please visit our website at http://www.ci.westminster.co.us/Safety/PoliceDepartment/AnimalManagement.aspx and the Colorado Division of Wildlife for information on living with wildlife: http://wildlife.state.co.us/WildlifeSpecies/LivingWithWildlife/Pages/LivingWith.aspx

Why doesn’t the water utility accept credit cards for recurring payments?

The City of Westminster recognizes the convenience that credit card payments offer to citizens when conducting business with the City of Westminster. Credit card payments are currently accepted for a number of city services on site and online, including one-time payments for utility bills. Protecting citizen credit card information is a top priority for the city, and the city uses third-party processors to handle credit card information storage, security and transactions to eliminate the need to maintain credit card information on city systems. Staff is currently evaluating the feasibility and costs associated with expanding water and sewer payment options to provide citizens with the ability to establish recurring credit card payments. If the evaluation concludes that security and cost issues can be successfully addressed, then this expanded service may be available in 2013. The city currently offers a payment option called P.I.E. (payment issued electronically) to provide citizens the ability to make automatic recurring water and sewer payments through their checking account (learn more here).

Are there any laws prohibiting fireworks in neighborhoods? Two weeks before and after the 4th it is crazy in her neighborhood

Every year Westminster Fire and Police departments respond to fireworks complaints, issue tickets for illegal fireworks use/possession and put out fires caused by fireworks. Don't become a fireworks statistic! Know the local laws and use good judgment. Learn more about fireworks on the city website.

Wanted to ask about the policy for barking dogs. Multiple complaints have to be corroborated by a neighbor via a form. Why do we have to do all this running around to file a complaint?

Animal Management receives numerous complaints on barking dogs throughout the year, many anonymous. Owners of barking dogs are warned and sometimes cited for the animal noise violation. If the complainant decides to have the dog owner cited, proof is needed for municipal court to show there is a violation since the animal disturbance is considered a criminal offense, and you would be the victim. Anonymous complaints are hard for Animal Management officers to follow up on and the problem may continue longer if we cannot contact the original complainant to advise them of our polices and help resolve them issue. Per city ordinance, in order to have a summons issued, the violator needs to have received a warning within the last 12 months and a second witness is needed from a separate household; both complainants would need to then fill out statement forms. The reason for the second witness is to eliminate retaliatory complaints. Unfortunately, Animal Management officers cannot keep warning the owners of the dog over and over; eventually a summons may need to be issued to help resolve the problem. Additional proof, such as a barking dog log with dates, times and durations helps show the frequently of the problem. If a second witness cannot be found the municipal court will accept video documentation of the barking.

Would like to ask about the future plans for Westminster Elementary School. Can we extend the park there?

For information about this school, please contact the Adams County School District 50 for information at 303-428-3511 or visit their website.

What can the city do to stop door-to-door solicitations? Do we have an ordinance? What can I do about it?

Every resident has the right to post a notice upon their property, including apartments, condominiums, mobile homes and detached residences, that soliciting or attempting to solicit from the occupants is unlawful. The notice has to be posted on each individual residence. Having it posted on the marquee at the entrance to their subdivision does not allow us to enforce it. Complaints about unlawful solicitation should be passed on to Police Department dispatch directly at 303 658 4360.

Are there plans for a Westminster city newspaper to tell us about events, crime, and other local things?

There are several city publications you can consult for news about Westminster. Our website (www.cityofwestminster.us) is always the best source of information about the city, with in-depth information on a variety of topics. Weekly Edition is an email newsletter that provides a short summary of activities and news, sent each Thursday. Subscribe here. We also mail out City Edition, a bi-monthly newspaper. Subscriptions are free to Westminster residents. Subscribe here. News and announcements can also be viewed with Comcast cable on the city’s municipal channel 8. While not a city publication, the Westminster Window is a community newspaper that includes city and non-city news and events. Visit their website for info.

What is the status of the development around the FasTracks location at 72nd & Irving? Are there plans to build up around that like the mall area?

The city is currently in the planning process for the 135-acre transit-oriented development (TOD) area that surrounds the station, which will have significant potential for growth and redevelopment into an active, vibrant mixed-use destination. For more information and to share your thoughts about the project, visit our website at: http://www.westminstertod.com/.

How does the city deal with hazardous materials? Paint, sprays, etc?

Westminster has a free household hazardous waste pick up service. For more information please visit the Household Hazardous Waste page on the city website.

What is the process for contractors to pick up work with the city? What are the proper channels?

The City of Westminster is funded by tax dollars. As such, the city's purchasing procedures have been established to ensure that tax dollars are spent in the most economical way. The city uses competitive means for the purchase of all products and services whenever possible. The city also utilizes contracts and price agreements established by the State of Colorado, the Multiple Assembly of Procurement Officials (MAPO) and other cooperatives or agencies when it is to the city's advantage. The city believes in open, fair competition and strives to ensure that all vendors have equal opportunity to compete for city business. More information is on the Purchasing page on the city website.

  |  Login