New history plaques installed
(Nov 17, 2011)
Two more bronze plaques have been installed on the sidewalks in front of two historic south Westminster school buildings.
- “The Union High School” plaque was installed at the entrance to this historic school on 73rd Avenue, east of Lowell Boulevard. The high school was opened in 1929 and has an “art deco/modern” architectural style. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The “Expanding Horizons” plaque is located on the east side of Lowell Boulevard and 73rd Avenue abutting the original Westminster High School built in 1949. Though not an official historic landmark, it is eligible for designation. The plaque includes various facts about the high school.
These plaques are part of a city program initiated by City Council in 2002 to commemorate historic sites and facts in Westminster.
Counting the recent installations, 18 plaques have been installed primarily within sidewalks in south Westminster.
Six plaques remain to be installed in areas that do not yet have sidewalks.
A complete listing of the 24 installed and to-be-installed plaques can be found on the city’s website