Fire prevention tip of the week: Make sure you know how to handle a cooking fire
(Oct 23, 2013)
The fire prevention theme for 2013 is Prevent Kitchen Fires!
Westminster Fire Department suggests the following:
- When in doubt, just get outside. Close the door behind you to help contain the fire. Then call 911.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
- For a microwave fire, shut off the power and keep the door closed.
- If you try to fight the fire with a fire extinguisher, be sure you have a clear exit path and others are leaving the home and calling 911.
- If a small grease fire has not spread beyond the pan, smother it by carefully sliding a lid or cookie sheet over the pan to completely cover it. Turn off the burner and leave the pan covered until it is completely cool. Never move the pan or throw water on a grease fire.
- If your clothes catch fire, cover your face then stop, drop and roll to put out the fire.
Westminster Fire Department will be at the Halloween Carnival at City Park Rec Center this Saturday, Oct. 26, from 4-6 p.m. Stop by and visit our “haunted” safety tent.