Heritage Golf Course Ponds
Heritage Golf Course at Westmoor is located in western Westminster north of W. 108th Avenue and east of Simms Street. It is also situated directly south of Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport. In 1995, the City of Westminster began to work with the Jefferson County Open Space Advisory Committee to build a new golf course on open land south of what was then known as Jefferson County Airport. The course opened in September 1999 and was designed by the prominent, award-winning, Ohio-based firm known as Hurdzan/Fry Environmental Golf Design. In 2002, Heritage Golf Course was honored by Audubon International as a certified signature sanctuary for its environmental stewardship through the integration of wildlife conservation, habitat enhancement, and water conservation.
Two ponds are found among the public course’s northern holes, both of them north of Westmoor Drive (a third body of water, Heron Pond, is located in the golf course’s southeast corner and is discussed separately). Both of the northern ponds are shallow and bordered by immature landscaping. Large water tanks and the airport’s control tower dominate the horizon to the north, and the view to the west offers a panorama of the Rocky Mountain foothills and the Flatirons above Boulder. The ponds are supplied with surface runoff from the golf course, along with reclaimed water piped to the site from the Big Dry Creek Wastewater Treatment Plant at 132nd Avenue and Huron Street.
The eastern pond (see photo above) is 4.2 acres in size and is situated adjacent to the clubhouse. It is lined by a perimeter of rocks and marsh grasses. Beyond the shoreline, the pond is surrounded by the clubhouse, parking lot, and open fairways. This pond has no inflow or outflow channel, and is entirely man-made.
The western pond (see photo below) is 1.6 acres in size and is located west of the clubhouse and east of Simms St. It is bordered by a perimeter of marsh grasses, along with a long stacked rock wall that forms its western shoreline. Beyond the shoreline, the pond is surrounded by fairways. It sits on high ground with a panoramic view of the mountains to the west
Prior to development of the golf course, the area where the ponds are located consisted of agricultural fields bisected by the Dry Creek Valley Ditch. The ditch was constructed around 1885 and originated at a headgate along the north side of Walnut Creek, about one-half mile east of Great Western Reservoir. Remnants of this ditch can still be seen in the vicinity of the ponds.
The agricultural fields and current pond locations were part of two adjacent 160-acre homesteads settled in the late 19th century. Aaron C. Allen, about whom nothing is known, claimed one of these parcels in 1888. Lillie A. Bennett claimed the other property in 1891. She appears to have been related to George W. Bennett, who owned another homestead directly to the north. George lived in Denver and was prominent in the feed, livery stable and livestock business. He is likely to have used this property to pasture cattle or grow hay.