Lower Church Lake Open Space
East of Wadsworth Boulevard at 108th Avenue
The city owns a total of 70.6 acres here, including the 35 acre Lower Church Lake. This open space protects 2,480 feet of frontage along U.S. 36 and 3,000 feet along the east side of Wadsworth Boulevard. This open space preserves precious mountain and lake views from U.S. 36. This open space was acquired through several acquisitions in 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2010.
Lower Church Lake was built beginning in 1878 by George H. Church who farmed the surrounding area. The lake was also known as Mandalay Lake. The Church’s operated a stagecoach stop called Church’s Crossing on a site on the west side of Wadsworth Boulevard just north of 103rd Avenue. President Ulysses S. Grant and his daughter stayed there on their way between Denver and Boulder. The building is gone but the historic well remains.
This parcel gently slopes about 54 feet from the Wadsworth Boulevard/U.S. 36 Bridge south to the lake. The open space is totally covered in native grasses, a remnant of when the property was a farm pasture. All that remains from the farming days are the attractive gambrel roofed barn and ceramic tile silo. These buildings were a part of the Tucker farm. There are no formal trails on this open space, but there are some informal trails including one next to the lake.
The lake is perhaps the best place to observe water birds in Westminster. Many varieties of ducks, geese and white pelicans frequent the lake.
To access the north side of the lake, pull off on the east side of Wadsworth Boulevard at 108th Avenue.
Learn more about Lower Church Lake.
View Larger Map