Westminster Grange Hall
Westminster Grange Hall No. 184, 3935 W. 73rd. Avenue (click for map)
State Resource No. 5AM.1651
The Westminster Grange Hall was the preeminent civic building in the Westminster region during the early 20th century and figures prominently in Westminster history. During 1910 to 1912, the Grange Association met on a platform located on a site that later served as the first Westminster city hall. Members bought two lots across the street (on what is now West 73rd Avenue) for $300 in 1912. With volunteer help, a 2,000 square foot wood structure was built for $1,200 in 1913. Once completed, the new Grange Hall was the center for many activities in the area. The only public building of any significant size in the community, it was widely used. Until the first city hall was constructed, the Grange served as City Council meeting hall. It was the only polling place in Westminster for many years and was extensively used by a variety of churches and other organizations for uses such as training sessions, board meetings and social events. Today, the Hall remains a popular spot for a variety of groups that utilize its stage and Hall for meetings, musicals, plays and dances.
Present-day users of the Grange Hall find an urban reminder of the days when the Grange Hall stood prominently among farm fields and orchards in an agricultural community. Granges played an important role in rural life throughout the United States and this history lesson is conveyed to each person who walks into the Grange Hall and asks, “What is a grange?” Learn more on the history of the American Grange movement by visiting the State Historical Fund supporting history webpage: "Home in the Grange" by Lyle Miller.
In 2003, the Westminster Grange Hall was the first building designated by the City Council as a local historic landmark. With this designation, the Grange became eligible for grants from the State Historical Fund (SHF). SHF provided a $10,000 assessment grant, and later a $101,000 grant, which was combined with another $46,000 grant* to fund a rehabilitation and restoration project. The Grange Hall received a new wood shingle roof, the wood lap siding and wood windows were restored, and the building received insulation and other repairs. It is hoped that a historic restoration of interior can one day be accomplished.
The Grange Hall features a hand-painted stage curtain dating from the late 1940s. A few Colorado grange halls have these hand-painted curtains and they are quite rare across the United States.
*The Grange restoration was also funded by Community Development Block Grant money, awarded by the U.S. Department of Housing & Urban Development.
Grange Hall Rental
The Grange Hall is operated by the Westminster Grange Association, and is availalbe for event rental. For further information, contact Gary Shea at 303-619-4336.