Tucker Ranch/Lower Church Lake Barn and Silo
Tucker Ranch / Lower Church Lake Barn and Silo, 10850 Wadsworth Blvd. (click for map)
State Resource No. 5JF.520
Located on the east side of West 108th Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard just north of the historic Church ranch area is a clay tile barn and silo, remnants of a more extensive farm established around 1900 by Church family relatives. Thomas Tucker, son of one of the earliest pioneers in Jefferson County, and Mary Miller Church, niece and adopted daughter of George Henry Church, built the farm as their “Home Place,” since it grew most of the hay and corn used at the 5,000-acre Tucker Mountain Ranch, a cattle operation north of Nederland, Colorado (now known as Caribou Ranch).
Eventually part of the land was sold to the Colorado Department of Transportation for construction of the Denver- Boulder Turnpike, and the remainder was eventually sold to the City of Westminster as open space. In 2006 the property was designated a Westminster local historic landmark under the name of the Lower Church Lake Barn and Silo.
The Tucker barn has a wide, deep gambrel roof over exterior walls constructed of hollow, clay tiles. The tiles were popular for their fireproof qualities. Tiles were formed into hollow blocks to make them lighter for transportation and use in construction. The Tucker clay-tile barn is the only such building found in the northern Jefferson County area of Westminster. The clay-tile silo is more common in this area. Both were built between 1910 and 1920. Click here to learn more about the Lower Church Lake Barn and Silo.
Click here for a more detailed history of the Tucker Family.