A Journey Through Westminster’s Agricultural Heritage – Southern Region
• Pillar of Fire
• Westminster Grange Hall
• Bowles House
• Shoenberg Farm
Pillar of Fire
The Pillar of Fire church has owned and farmed the area between Lowell and Federal Boulevards, south of West 84th Avenue, for nearly 100 years. The fields provide an open view of the historic Westminster University building and the Pillar of Fire school campus.
Westminster Grange Hall
Located at 3937 W. 73rd. Avenue on Westminster’s original “Main Street,” the Westminster Grange Hall was the preeminent civic building in the Westminster region during the early 20th century. The only public building of any significant size in the community, it was widely used by the community. Until the first city hall was constructed, the Grange served as City Council meeting hall. It was the only polling place in Westminster for many years and was extensively used by a variety of churches and other organizations for uses such as training sessions, board meetings, dances and social events. Today, the Hall remains a popular spot for a variety of groups that utilize its stage and Hall for meetings, musicals, plays and dances.
Edward Bruce Bowles homesteaded the property at 3924 West 72nd Avenue in 1871. He was a horse breeder and is said to have influenced the railroad alignment between Denver and Boulder so that it passed along the north edge of his farm. The large brick home is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is owned by the City, serving as Westminster’s history museum.
Dudley C. Shoenberg Memorial Farm
Several original buildings of the historic Shoenberg Farm, dating back to 1911, remain at the southwest corner of 73rd Avenue and Sheridan Boulevard. The Shoenberg Farm complex originally covered around 800 acres. Built for National Jewish Hospital as a philanthropic project of Louis D. Shoenberg, the history of Shoenberg Farm and the Tepper Family who owned it for nearly 90 years is fascinating.
The City of Westminster purchased seven of the Shoenberg Farm buildings in 2009, using substantial funding awarded by the Colorado State Historical Fund (SHF). The City is also using SHF funds for assessment, planning and rehabilitation of the structures, including the dairy barn, milk and ice house, farmhouse, garage, concrete silo, wooden stave silo and power plant. The City is seeking users and preservation partners for these buildings. Learn more about the proposed adaptive reuse of Shoenberg Farm.
The Farm is protected by its local historic landmark designation, the Westminster Historic Landmark Board and the Colorado Historical Foundation.