Westminster Farms - Northwest Region
A Journey Through Westminster’s Agricultural Heritage – Northwest Region
- Semper Farm
- Wick Silo
- Church Ranch
- Mandalay Schoolhouse
- Church’s Stage Stop Well
- Tucker Ranch
Charles & Julia Semper Farm
The Semper farmhouse and structures remain on City Open Space located at 9215 Pierce Street. Once a part of the town of Semper, the farmhouse was built in two phases, the two-story portion in 1881 and the one-story addition in 1961. The exterior was restored in 2008 using a State Historical Fund grant and Community Development Block Grant money from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The Semper Farm includes large irrigation canals, heavily wooded wildlife habitat and a community garden. Both the 1961 pumphouse and 19th century brick well have been restored by Eagle Scout candidates. A small barn and tool shed are awaiting rehabilitation. The Farm is protected by its local historic landmark designation and the Westminster Historic Landmark Board.
Learn more about the Sempers.
This unique wooden structure, located at the northwest corner of 90th Avenue and Wadsworth Boulevard, was originally part of the John & Mary Wick farm. Built in 1912 out of stacked lumber, it features 14 sides and was a highly innovative design at the time it was built. It was preserved by land developers when the surrounding neighborhood was built in the 1970s. It is privately owned and located on a restaurant property, although it is easily accessible to visitors.
Several buildings from the historic Church Ranch remain at the southeast corner of Church Ranch Boulevard and Wadsworth Boulevard. The buildings are privately owned by Church family descendant Charlie McKay and are not open to the public. The most prominent building is the three-story barn built in the late 19th century. The barn can be seen from the Big Dry Creek Trail. Read about the remaining Church Ranch buildings.
Other remnants of the Church ranching operation include the Church’s Stage Stop Well, which was located along the Cherokee Trail. The lumber from the Stage Stop was used to build the one-room Mandalay Schoolhouse[insert link to webpage] around 1923.
Tucker Home Farm
A circa 1910-1920 clay tile barn and silo remain on the site of the Tucker Home Farm (later known as the Haselwood farm) at 10850 Wadsworth Boulevard. Mary Tucker was the niece and adopted daughter of early homesteader George Church, who deeded the farm to her and her husband Thomas Tucker in 1901.
The barn and silo are located on the City-owned Lower Church Lake Open Space and are visible from U.S. 36 north of the Church Ranch Boulevard interchange. The structures are protected by the local historic landmark designation and the Westminster Historic Landmark Board.