The Ranch Subdivision Walk
Boundaries – 120th to the north, 112th to the south, Federal Boulevard to the west and 116th Avenue to the east.
Map – Use this map to follow the directions below.
Distance – 3.66 miles
Difficulty - easy
Parking - Corner of 118th Avenue and Zuni Street
Description - This 3.66 mile walk will take you up and around the rolling hills on which the Ranch Subdivision and Country Club are built. This walk provides an intimate view of one of Westminster’s finest neighborhoods. The first phase of the Ranch Subdivision was platted in 1978 near the intersection of 120th Avenue/Zuni Street. The subdivision that subsequently developed surrounds The Ranch Country Club, the only private Country Club in the north metro area.
The original subdivision consisted of 410 acres. However, in 2005, a major reconstruction and reconfiguration occurred to the Ranch Country Club. Several holes were re-routed through the then developed 115-acre Ranch Reserve subdivision. Now the Ranch and Ranch Reserve developments, including Ranch Open Space, Ranch Creek Open Space, Vogel Pond Open Space and Ranch Park totals 556 acres.
As the name implies, there was a historic ranch on the site which included an older frame house (still standing at 118th Avenue and Pecos Street), a barn and windmill now on the City of Westminster’s Ranch Open Space and Spanish style ranch house which is the nucleus of the current Ranch Country Club clubhouse. The ranch house was situated on the highest point on the property and still commands a sweeping view of the Front Range Mountains.
While the clubhouse is closed to the public, adjacent Ranch Park is not and has an equally spectacular view. A short trail encircles the park.
Directions (print directions)
- Park your car at the corner of 118th Avenue and Zuni Street. Walk north on Zuni Street. The homes on the right (east) were built in the late 1970s.
- Turn left (west) at 119th Avenue. Walk on either side of the street to the bottom of the hill to Decatur Street. These homes where built by Richmond Homes in the early 1980s.
- Take the concrete path on the west side of Decatur Street and walk west along the edge of the Ranch Golf Course. To the south is the golf course (#1) and the north is the 6.2-acre Ranch Creek Open Space (#2). Ranch Creek flows through the Ranch Golf Course.
- Proceed west on the sidewalk to where it dead ends at 119th Avenue. Go left (south) to the next intersection and turn left (east) at Decatur Drive. Walk on the left side of the street, which curves right (south). These homes were built in the late 1980s and back up to the Ranch Golf Course.
- Continue on Decatur Drive to where it turns west to intersect Decatur Street. Turn left onto Decatur Street and proceed south on the right side of the street. Note the beautiful custom homes which were constructed beginning in the 1990s. This subdivision is called Ranch Reserve and has many beautiful (some magnificent) custom homes.
- Continue along Decatur Street south and turn left on to Ranch Reserve Parkway. Stay on the left side of the street.
- If you are up for a memorable side trip, turn left on Ranch Reserve Ridge Street which is a dead-end cul-de-sac accessing some of Westminster’s most amazing homes. The round trip distance to the end of the cul-de-sac and back is about .7 mile.
- Back on Ranch Reserve Parkway go south past the golf course (#1) which is in the valley below to the left. Just past the golf course, go left (east) on a narrow dirt path, which will take you to the dam on the north side of Vogel Pond within the Vogel Pond Open Space (#3). Waterfowl and other birds are attracted to this 3.9-acre pond. Proceed east past the pond and up the hill. The golf course will be on your left. You will soon reach a high point (#4) which affords panoramic views of the golf course and Ranch development.
Stay left on the path with the pond (#5) on your left. Go through the grass with the townhomes on your right. You will come to a concrete/rocky ditch. Cross that and turn left on the trail, crossing the pond. The path takes you up a hill around to the right to a concrete sidewalk which dead ends at a street (Quivas Way).
Turn left at Quivas Way, staying on sidewalk, which is on the right side of the street. Note the interesting custom homes on the left which back up to the golf course. You will see traditional, southwest, farmhouse, Tudor style homes as well a unique contemporary home.
Just where Quivas Way turns to the north, note Ranch Creek as it flows under the street and west across the Ranch Creek Golf Course. The view to the west (#6) is stunning!
- Continue north along Quivas Way (noting more interesting homes) to 116th Avenue. Cross over 116th Avenue and stay on Quivas Way, which goes up a hill.
- At the top of the hill on the left is an idyllic pond (#7). A few majestic, ancient Cottonwood trees line the edge of the lake. The views to the west are great!
- Continue on the sidewalk as the street curves back to the south and is now named Shoshone Street. Go down the hill to where the street dead ends and go right (west). The golf course will be on both sides of the street.
- Walk past the short cul-de-sac with no name on your left. Just past this street you will see a drainage channel on you left. Next to the channel is a wide sidewalk (before Country Club Loop). Turn left onto this sidewalk. The rest of your walk will be through an area with a variety of custom homes.
- Walk down the hill on this sidewalk to scenic 7.8-acre Jackson Lake (#8). The sidewalk will angle to the right (west) along the shore of the lake.
- Soon, the sidewalk will turn back right (north) and dead-end at Country Club Loop where you turn left. Continue along the sidewalk on the left side of the street past more stately homes.
- For a short side trip, turn left at Country Club Court and go to the end of the cul-de-sac. There is a wonderful Santé Fe style hacienda-style house.
- Country Club Loop slowly turns from west to north to east. Note the “castle-style" home. At Zuni Street, turn left. Pause at the pond (#9) within the golf course on the west side of Zuni Street and soak in the glorious view.
- Return to your car. Hope you had fun!