Household Hazardous Waste
The city has contracted with Waste Management At Your Door Special Collection, Inc. to collect household hazardous waste directly from your home by appointment FREE of charge.
How the Program Works:
- Residents must have at least three different materials before scheduling an appointment (it cannot be all paint - see materials list below).
- If you have paint, you must have more than three (3) gallons, in addition to two other materials for disposal.
- Paint - If you only have paint, visit PaintCare to find a drop-off site near you. Since the start of the Colorado paint stewardship program on July 1, 2015, PaintCare has set up 132 drop-off sites in Colorado and they expect to have more than 150 sites by the end of the first year of operations (June 2016). Most of these sites are at paint retailers (paint, hardware, and home improvement stores) that have volunteered to take back paint, and they are available to any household and business in Colorado. These stores accept paint whenever they are open for business.
- Call 800-449-7587 to schedule your collection appointment.
- Prior to your appointment date, you will receive a collection bag to place your non-recyclable materials in for pick-up. Recyclable hazardous materials in containers five gallons or smaller must be placed outside of the bag.
- On the date of collection, place materials by your garage or front door before 7 a.m.
- Non-recyclable household hazardous waste: adhesives, oil-based paint (five gallons maximum), aerosols, art/hobby supplies, brake fluid, automotive paint, solvents, household batteries, waxes, household cleaning chemicals, fluorescent tubes, thermostats and thermometers.
- Recyclable household hazardous waste: place in five gallon containers or smaller and place in the collection bag you are sent, anti-freeze (seven gallons maximum), automotive batteries (five maximum), automotive oil (seven gallons maximum), used oil filters (five maximum), and latex paint (five gallons maximum.)
No more than 10 – one (1) gallon containers or 2 – five (5) gallon containers.
When you schedule your collection appointment, the volume restrictions listed above will be verified and if you have materials in excess of the limits, charges may be applied.
If you must dispose of a product or material not in the list above, refer to the Hard to Recycle Guide for more information or contact Nick Butel at 303-658-2183 or email HHWhotline@cityofwestminster.us.