Election Day is November 7, 2017
2017 Election Calendar
2017 Candidate List
Municipal Elections in the City of Westminster are “nonpartisan,” meaning candidates for office do not declare a party affiliation on the ballot. All offices on the ballot are elected at-large; that is, the city consists of one ward. All elected officials serve 4-year terms, beginning on Monday, Nov. 13, 2017 at 8 p.m.
Offices on the Ballot:
• Mayor – must receive at least 40% of votes cast to be elected
• 3 City Councillor seats – the three candidates receiving the highest number of votes are elected
Eligibility for Office:
• United States citizen
• Resident of the City of Westminster for at least one (1) year prior to the last day for filing nomination petition (Aug. 28, 2017)
• Registered elector of the City of Westminster on the last day for filing nomination petition (Aug. 28, 2017) and throughout tenure of office
How to Become a Candidate:
• Download the Candidate Packet, and read it entirely.
• File a Candidate Affidavit with the City Clerk’s Office within 10 days of becoming a candidate, and before circulating nominating petitions.
• A person is a candidate for election if the person has publicly announced an intention to seek election to public office, and thereafter has received a contribution or made an expenditure in support of the candidacy.
• File a Committee Registration Form with the City Clerk’s Office within 10 days of accepting any contribution or making any expenditure.
Getting on the Ballot:
• Download the Petition Instructions and Forms
• Collect 25 valid signatures from Westminster electors between Aug. 8, 2017 – Aug. 28, 2017.
• Please note: It is strongly recommended that candidates collect at least 50 signatures to account for signatures that may be invalidated.
• Submit the petition to the City Clerk’s office by no later than 6 p.m. on Aug. 28, 2017.
If you have any questions, call the City Clerk’s Office at 303-658-2161.
City Council Candidate Forum
Hosted by the Westminster Chamber of Commerce
Meet the City Council candidates on the November ballot
Tuesday, Oct. 10
City Hall, Council Chambers
4800 W. 92nd Ave.
Colorado voter registration forms can be obtained at the City Clerk's office or by visiting the state's website. You must be 18 years of age, a United States citizen and a resident of Colorado for 30 days prior to the election. Registration forms must be submitted to the appropriate County Clerk's office. Each office's address and phone number is listed on the back of the registration form.
Jefferson County Voters Information - Jefferson County Election website or call the Jefferson County Clerk’s office at 303-271-8111.
Adams County Voters Information – Adams County Election website or call the Adams County Clerk’s office at 720-523-6500.
Register to vote or verify your voter registration by visiting the state's website.
- Political signs DO NOT require permits.
- Under NO circumstances should political signage of any type, size or scale be placed in the public right-of-way, or positioned in such a way as to cause unsafe blind spots or visual distractions for motorists.
- Political signs MAY NOT be of any type of sign that is expressly forbidden in Section 11-11-5 of the Westminster Municipal Code (for example, a sign erected with moving parts or flashing lights).
- Political signs must be placed at least 100 feet away from a polling place, but not on a public right-of-way.
- Political signs MAY NOT be placed on or over any public property.
Please contact the City Clerk at 303-658-2161 for more information.