Wastewater Treatment Facilities
Approximately 65% of wastewater generated in the City of Westminster flows to the Big Dry Creek Wastewater Treatment Facility. The Big Dry Creek Wastewater treatment facility annually treats over 2580 million gallons of wastewater. The other 35% of Westminster's wastewater travels to the Metro Wastewater Reclamation District in Denver.
Biosolids Land Application Program
During the wastewater treatment process, organic solids, called biosolids, are separated out. These biosolids are treated using a special process and transported to the city's Strasburg Natural Resource Farm for soil conditioning. Rich in nitrogen, organic matter and trace nutrients, these biosolids are an ideal additive for depleted soils.
The industrial pretreatment program prevents the introduction of pollutants into the wastewater treatment plant that will interfere with its operation or cause damage to the environment.