Westminster City Council uses a strategic planning process to help achieve its long-range vision of a city that is rich in complexity, a community that is desirable as a place of residence or business.
Each year City Council reviews its vision for the future through a Strategic Plan to achieve that vision. The plan defines the city's vision, mission, core values, and goals. Each goal is further defined and specific initiatives are identified as priorities for City Council that help achieve the associated goal.
The Strategic Plan was developed to reinforce long-term planning for both operating (day-to-day operations and services) and capital (long-term investment projects such as road construction, water distribution and sewer maintenance) programs. City Council enlists staff's assistance, via the city department heads, in developing the Strategic Plan. This team approach is critical to success, as it allows staff to better understand City Council's goals and vision for the city. In turn, staff can more successfully plan city projects and budgets to achieve the shared vision.
For more information on the Strategic Plan, contact the Westminster City Manager's Office, 303-658-2009.
Strategic Plan: 2015-2016 Goals and Initiatives
Vision: Westminster is an enduring community – a unique sense of place and identity; we have a choice of desirable neighborhoods that are beautiful and sustainable by design. Westminster residents enjoy convenient choices for an active, healthy lifestyle, are safe and secure, and have ease of mobility within our City and convenient connection to the metro area. Westminster is a respectful, diverse community in which residents are engaged. Westminster City Government provides exceptional city services, and has a strong tax base through a sustainable local economy.
Mission: Our job is to deliver exceptional value and quality of life through S-P-I-R-I-T (Service, Pride, Integrity, Responsibility, Innovation, Teamwork)
Visionary Leadership and Effective Governance
The City of Westminster has articulated a clear vision for the future of the community. The vision is implemented through collaborative and transparent decision making.
- Secure a replacement for our retiring City Manager that has the combination of experience, knowledge, style and values that are consistent with City Council vision and organizational values; ensure a smooth transition.
Vibrant and Inclusive Neighborhoods
Westminster provides housing options for a diverse demographic citizenry, in unique settings with community identity, ownership and sense of place, with easy access to amenities, shopping, and employment.
- Complete St. Anthony North Hospital (84th Avenue) impact analysis
- Create an Arts District
Comprehensive Community Engagement
Westminster is represented by inclusive cultural, business, nonprofit and geographic participation. Members of the community are involved in activities; they are empowered to address community needs and important community issues.
Beautiful, Desirable, Environmentally Responsible City
Westminster thoughtfully creates special places and settings. The City is an active steward, protecting and enhancing natural resources and environmental assets. The City promotes and fosters healthy communities.
- Develop and implement Open Space Master Plan
- Identify and implement alternative energy options for city facilities
- Achieve “Solar City” designation to benefit both our environment and economy
Proactive Regional Collaboration
Westminster is proactively engaged with our partners to advance the common interests of the region.
- Collaborate with counties, school districts and neighboring cities
Dynamic, Diverse Economy
Westminster is a local government that fosters social, economic, and environmental vitality, and cultivates and strengthens a wide array of economic opportunities.
- Construct Westminster Station and develop TOD area
- Identify and pursue FasTracks next step
- Continue North I-25 development
- Proceed with Phase I of the Westminster Center Reinvestment Project
- Advance business attraction strategy
- Encourage the development of chef-owned and/or operated restaurants
- Grow small businesses through incubation
Excellence in City Services
Westminster leads the region in a culture of innovation that exceeds expectations in all City services – the City is known for “the Westy Way.”
- Analyze Fire/EMS alternative service delivery
- Provide improved collaboration and communication between City Council and employees at all levels of the organization
- Improve planning and permit process to be business friendly and achieve city goals
Ease of Mobility
Westminster pursues multi-modal transportation options to ensure the community is convenient, accessible, and connected by local and regional transportation options through planning, collaboration, advocacy, and execution. Transportation objectives include walkability, bike friendly, drivability, and mass transit options.
- Enhance trail connectivity
One-page printable version