Westminster City Council uses a strategic planning process to help achieve its long-range vision of a city that is rich in complexity, a community that is desirable as a place of residence or business.
Each year City Council reviews its vision for the future through a Strategic Plan to achieve that vision. The plan defines the city's vision, mission, core values, and goals. Each goal is further defined and specific initiatives are identified as priorities for City Council that help achieve the associated goal.
The Strategic Plan was developed to reinforce long-term planning for both operating (day-to-day operations and services) and capital (long-term investment projects such as road construction, water distribution and sewer maintenance) programs. City Council enlists staff's assistance, via the city department heads, in developing the Strategic Plan. This team approach is critical to success, as it allows staff to better understand City Council's goals and vision for the city. In turn, staff can more successfully plan city projects and budgets to achieve the shared vision.
For more information on the Strategic Plan, contact the Westminster City Manager's Office, 303-658-2009.
Strategic Plan (adopted July 2017)
Vision: Westminster is the next Urban Center of the Colorado Front Range. It is a vibrant inclusive, creative and well-connected city. People choose Westminster because it is a dynamic community with distinct neighborhoods, quality educational opportunities and a resilient local economy that includes: a spectrum of jobs; diverse, integrated housing; and shopping, cultural, entertainment, and restaurant options. It embraces the outdoors and is one of the most sustainable cities in America.
Mission: Our job is to deliver exceptional value and quality of life through S-P-I-R-I-T (Service, Pride, Integrity, Responsibility, Innovation, Teamwork)
Visionary Leadership, Effective Governance and Proactive Regional Collaboration
The City of Westminster has articulated a clear vision for the future of the community. The vision is implemented through collaborative and transparent decision making. Westminster is proactively engaged with our partners to advance the common interests of the region.
- Develop communication, management and planning tools that move the city toward its vision while providing excellent government.
- Collaborate with state agencies, counties, school districts, neighboring cities and other governmental and non-governmental entities.
Vibrant, Inclusive and Engaged Community
Westminster provides options for an inclusive, demographically diverse citizenry in unique settings with community identity, ownership and sense of place, with easy access to amenities, shopping, employment and diverse integrated housing options. Members of the community are empowered to address community needs and important community issues through active involvement with city cultural, business and nonprofit groups.
- Advance strategies that demonstrate Westminster is a regional leader in providing affordable/workforce housing.
- Develop programs and strategies that build a unique sense of community in Westminster.
- Lead the development of cultural opportunities in Westminster.
- Identify the distinct neighborhoods of Westminster and help them begin to work together, as neighbors, to grow the sense of place and community in their neighborhoods.
Beautiful, Desirable, Safe and Environmentally Responsible City
Westminster thoughtfully creates special places and settings. The city is an active steward, protecting and enhancing natural resources and environmental assets. The city promotes and fosters safe and healthy communities.
- Make a citywide commitment to sustainability.
- Promote ongoing excellent management and maintenance of the city’s parks and open space system.
- Provide opportunities for residents, visitors and employees to improve their personal wellness – physically, emotionally and intellectually.
Dynamic, Diverse Economy
Westminster is a local government that fosters social, economic and environmental vitality and cultivates and strengthens a wide array of economic opportunities.
- Develop an economic development strategy that contributes to city vision attainment and is executed through collaborative work between the City of Westminster, the business community, residents and other partners of Westminster.
Financially Sustainable Government Providing Excellence in City Services
Westminster leads the region in a culture of innovation that exceeds expectations in providing value in all city services – the city shall be known for “the Westy Way.”
- Develop and maintain comprehensive municipal capital infrastructure master plan and financing strategy.
- Promote the organizational culture of Service, Pride, Integrity, Responsibility, Innovation and Teamwork.
- City Manager will develop an annual program of specific department business process improvement reviews.
Ease of Mobility
Westminster pursues multi-modal transportation options to ensure the community is convenient, accessible and connected by local and regional transportation options through planning, collaboration, advocacy and execution. Transportation objectives include walkability, bike friendly, drivability, and mass-transit options.
- Improve the walkability and bikeability of Westminster.
- Improve mass-transit options throughout Westminster.
One-page printable version
Updated: July 2017