8. Human Services Board
HUMAN SERVICES BOARD
2-8-2: POWERS AND DUTIES
2-8-3: MEMBERSHIP OF BOARD
2-8-4: LEVEL OF FUNDING; CRITERIA:
2-8-5: ACTING CHAIRPERSON; QUORUM; PROCEDURE
2-8-1: CREATION: (1698 2068 3294) There is hereby created a Human Services Board, hereinafter referred to as "the Board," consisting of five (5) regular members and one (1) alternate member.
2-8-2: POWERS AND DUTIES: (1698 2068) The Board shall review, evaluate and recommend to City Council funding levels for the budget year based on submittals to the City Council by outside human services agencies and other outside organizations. The Board shall also perform such other duties as may be assigned to it by the City Council.
2-8-3: MEMBERSHIP OF BOARD: (1698 2068) It is the intent of City Council that selection of the Board be made so that to the extent possible, the Board members represent expertise in the following areas: (1) Health services, (2) Housing, (3) Community services, (4) Senior citizens, and (5) Education or cultural services
2-8-4: LEVEL OF FUNDING; CRITERIA: (1698 2068)
(A) The City Council shall notify the Board by July 18th of each year the estimate of funds that may be available for appropriation to outside human services and other related agencies in the subsequent calendar year. The Board shall review and evaluate requests received by outside human services and other related agencies for funding for the subsequent calendar year, and shall make a report to the City Council by August 1st each year recommending which requests should be funded and the level of funding within the total estimate of funds available for this type of activity. The Board's recommendations shall be advisory only.
(B) The criteria to be used by the Board in evaluating requests for funding shall include, but not be limited to, the following:
(1) Programs shall benefit Westminster citizens and shall provide a needed service to the community.
(2) Programs shall be independently organized and managed.
(3) Programs shall have obtained not-for-profit status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Federal Internal Revenue Code.
(4) Programs must have documented proof that they have unsuccessfully applied for funds from other sources or that there is a compelling reason for requesting funds from the City.
(5) Programs shall be efficiently and effectively managed.
(6) Programs shall use conventional accounting methods and be able to provide a means for the Board to track the use of funds obtained from the City.
(7) Program requests shall include an updated annual financial report, a report of Westminster residents served annually, and the percentage of clientele that are Westminster residents.
(C) Any program that fails to meet all of the criteria listed in subsection (B) of this Section shall not be recommended for funding.
(D) The Board shall annually evaluate each request for funding, even if the program was funded in the prior year.
2-8-5: ACTING CHAIRPERSON; QUORUM; PROCEDURE: (1698 2068) The Chairperson may designate a member of the Board to assume the Chairperson's duties in the Chairperson's absence. A quorum shall consist of three (3) members, and a decision of a majority of the members of the entire Board shall control.
2-8-6: BYLAWS: (1698 2068) The Board shall adopt its own bylaws to establish the time, frequency and procedures of meetings. These bylaws shall be consistent with applicable statutes and ordinances and shall not be effective until approved by the City Council.